Wednesday, July 1, 2009

Michael Jackson Tribute in The Castro


Michael Jackson Tribute, originally uploaded by deanv41.

I spotted this tribute to MJ in a storefront on Castro Street. I like it a lot because it's simple, not overwrought, displays his most delightful album, and the disco ball makes the record read: Michael Jackson Off. I downloaded a single song by him this week, as I don't need any of his albums. The song is "Morphine" from a strange compilation that had a few new songs on it from 1997. It's obscure to me, at least. In the middle of this industrial funk song about drug addiction, the music breaks into a quiet and lovely bridge in which Jackson angelically sings, "Demoral, my god he's taking demoral..." It's oddly beautiful before the industrial funk crashes back in. It's a very telling, very confessional, and not utterly overplayed number that seems worth a re-evaluation this week.

No comments: