Sunday, February 14, 2010

Don't Talk

I adored the band 10,000 Maniacs in college. They were a latter day Fairport Convention to me, a folk rock band for the 80s in league with R.E.M. and the American Underground. Today, they are considered more a middle-of-the-road band, rather polite because of Natalie Merchant's solo career which was lovely but not raucous.
This is my version of the song, "Don't Talk," from In My Tribe. It is set to scenes of the Chinese New Year, although the subject of the song -- alcoholism -- is rather more dire than the flowers and scenes depicted here. I don't always want a video image to match a lyric, in any case. As this is such a gorgeous song, I wanted the scenes to be sunnier and more floral. Cut flowers die are a mixed symbol of both the beauty of life and an impending death, so the visual cues are not so far from their intent. Enjoy.

No comments: