Monday, February 8, 2010

Expired Stock: Avezink & The Fresh Decade

I enjoy the website Flickr as a kind of third eye on the world. As i was exploring the awesome design blog Journey Round My Skull, I found myself on a Flickr page for Avezink, a member who lives in Shanghai but is from Novosibirsk, Russia apparently. She uses Soviet-era cameras and expired film stock to create very new images of Chinese urban life. To me, it is the best representation i can think of for the contemporary richness of imagery and design aesthetics at its most synthetic. I use the word 'synthetic' in the sense of a combination of disparate parts. Avezink combines everything the fresh decade feels reaching toward -- China, 21st century technology, a total integration of the history of the 20th century, and an eye focused squarely on The City.

No comments: