Sunday, August 15, 2010

Struggling Man: Jimmy Cliff in Concert


Jimmy Cliff in Concert, originally uploaded by deanv41.

Friday night's concert at The Mezzanine, behind the Old Mint on Jessie Street South of Market, brought out a very irie crowd. I'm a huge fan of the landmark Jamaican film, The Harder They Come, as well as Cliff's 1974 album, Struggling Man. He was a kind of high priest to a crowd of believers, with a wildly mixed crowd from rastas to old hippies to young bucks and their does. His song, "You Can Get It" was a rallying cry for me in the 1980s as I struggled to come out. I recall singing it to myself one night as I made my way out in search of brethren. That night, I met a few folks that would become good friends in college at a time when I was fairly isolated. "But you must try, try & try and you'll succeed at last..."

No comments: