Saturday, November 27, 2010

Dan Plasma's Native American Van


Dan Plasma's Native American Van, originally uploaded by deanv41.

Street artists can be prolific but incidental, or magnetic & ubiquitous like Screw (aka Barry McGee) in the 1990s who went on to global renown.
The street artist, Dan Plasma, has my attention in the same way lately as I spot his work all over town. It always stops me in my tracks whether on the side of a building, along a fence or a part of a vehicle's design like this van.

At Thanksgiving Dinner in the North Mission I was out back at a friend's house and saw this van parked in a lot behind the Greek Orthodox Metropolis on Valencia. It's a perfect rendition for the day; a celebration of harvest time mixed thoroughly into a benevolent colonial myth, on wheels. I imagine Dan Plasma is Native American as his style reminds me at times of Northwest Native Art and a considered American counter-narrative. It's contemporary, intelligent, and compelling.

Regardless of the trappings, Thanksgiving is a favorite meal of the year and one that Americans pay attention to in a way that belies a reputation for fast food and inelegant manners. Seeing Plasma's piece put a good spin on my holiday.


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

great work!