Saturday, January 22, 2011

Blue Bug


Blue Bug, originally uploaded by deanv41.

I get a very nostalgic feeling when I spot vintage Volkswagen beetles around town as I owned one myself in the 80s, a bright yellow one. I drove it from Missoula, Montana, to Washington DC in the Summer of 1989. It was never designed for that kind of distance, much less driving then from the East Coast through Chicago and on to a family reunion near Santa Cruz, California. Just two weeks later, the site of our reunion, Loma Prieta Park in the mountains above Santa Cruz, was the epicenter of an enormous earthquake that damaged the region extensively. I had just left for the last jaunt back to Montana and so narrowly missed the event. I sold the VW immediately once back in Missoula as I had become stir crazy after so many thousands of miles in such a small car. When I see one now, i flash back to that Summer, just before the Loma Prieta Quake, the road, America, the squeaky cassette tapes, San Francisco for the first time, my family reunion and the funky German design legacy of this "People's Car."

No comments: