Sunday, April 3, 2011

Color Column


Color Column, originally uploaded by deanv41.

I've been inspired to really look at the way colors work, how they interact, what they are made of, where they are from, by a book called Color in Art by John Gage.

Here's a detail of a lovely column inlaid with mosaic in North Beach. I'd like to study and try my hand at mosaic, as it is a very satisfying kind of artwork -- dimensional yet essentially flat, narrative and abstract -- but it is too large a format for my small home studio. I especially like how broken things are reused and the randomness of color that creates a unified field. The scale and the amount of stuff needed for mosaic requires such a large spaces and architectural opportunities for installation. When it is done well, though, it wonderfully defines the palette, colors, and textures of city walls and street elements.

No comments: