Friday, July 15, 2011

Birdscape

I've been letting the birds out of their cage to begin exploring the wider world. It's a slow process of escaping and still knowing how to come home again. Birdscape by deanv41

I often think when I come home and lock the door behind me, i'm not in such a different cage as the budgies. I feel a deep sense of security, protected from the outside, when I'm home. A cage is something that protects as well as traps its inhabitant. If you don't have that cage, you are basically homeless, aren't you? The limits of Winton & Ella's domain is at the edge of safety. Within its enclosure the world is known. It's a built environment that fulfills the need for comfort and routine. Leaving the proverbial nest is treacherous. True freedom is wildly unpredictable, sometimes damaging. Carefully, though, the birds must venture into the birdscape to fly toward the unknown and become what they are.


Birdscape, a photo by deanv41 on Flickr.

No comments: