Wednesday, January 18, 2012

Peep Hole

Peep Hole by deanv41
Peep Hole, a photo by deanv41 on Flickr.

I've experienced a kind of image saturation lately that leads me to keep my camera in my pocket more often than not. It isn't that I don't want to record something, it's just an overwhelming feeling especially in such a tourist town that every view is over-documented. I need a reason, a tension, a narrative, or an abstraction to compel me. This is particularly true in Chinatown, a location that is so well photographed that I can hardly bear to aim & shoot. In that light, I've been trying to see telling details, rather than explanatory vistas, to tell a tale of a day in the neighborhood. As the Flower Festival flowed around me, I focused on this peep hole in a door on Jackson Street. It seemed to sum up something not just about the neighborhood but about my reticence to be so aimlessly snap happy. There is a protective guard around tourist towns, understandable as everyone descends on it with intentions. I try not to have 'rules' about my dealing with outsiders versus locals, but I do find that I have a natural peep hole that I look through to help narrow my gauge and read the portent of quizzical visitors.

No comments: