Thursday, February 23, 2012

The Parish of San Francisco

This panoramic shot taken from Cathedral Hill shows the contours of the Lower Haight, Hayes Valley, and the hills rising to Twin Peaks. At the center is a favorite skyline icon of mine, Sacred Heart Parish located at Fell and Fillmore Street. It is not currently in use, I believe, and has been the subject of various historical landmark campaigns. The yellow brick structure is extremely beautiful, even if it is fairly modest in its architecture. My first neighborhood in San Francisco was Alamo Square, located just a few blocks from Sacred Heart. The church steeple served as an early guidepost for me as I got to know the City in the early 1990s. I do hope a good use for the building can be found. It would make a lovely concert venue, though I suspect seismic upgrade is keeping investors away.

The Parish of San Francisco

No comments: