Thursday, March 1, 2012

Bavaria 1970

It's the dead of Winter, which no matter the weather puts me in a more low key mood, apt to stay home and read a book after work than go out on the town. I get a little nostalgic for colder climates with snow, the fireplace, hot cocoa and all that around this time of year. I really should take a proper trip up to Tahoe soon.
My quintessential memories of white Winters are of my early childhood in West Germany. Between the ages of one and four or so, from 1968 to 1971, my father was stationed in Heidelberg. I remember castles, forests, military bases (we lived in Patrick Henry Village, naturally), and especially Wintertime, Christmas Markets and skiing holidays in the Bavarian Alps. Germany does Winter well.
This is a photograph of me (I'm the one on the right) taken around 1970 at Mad King Ludwig's Neuschwanstein Castle, a late 19th Century Romantic period icon. It was the model for Sleeping Beauty's Castle at Disneyland built in 1955 and had most recently been featured in Chitty Chitty Bang Bang, released in 1968. That sweetly eccentric film was most certainly on a loop in my head as I stood, mid-Winter, framed by Ludwig's great Castle Gate at the dawn of The Seventies.

At Neuschwanstein Castle 1970

2 comments:

ak debb said...

Anytime you're nostalgic for snow, you can always come up here... oh, and bring a shovel! Seriously, the snow here is over my head and there's more to come this weekend... snow-ma-gedoen. There is no longer anywhere to pile the snow... It's making everyone claustrophobic and grouchy.

DbV said...

Nostalgia, Deb, is so very golden. In my mind these days snow is a touch romantic, the whiteness in the darkness of winter, the reason for thick quilts. Reality is such a drag, though, isn't it? It usually only takes me about 10 minutes outside the car in the mountains to recollect ALL the reasons I swore I'd never put up with a real Winter again. No, in my dreams, Winter is like Chitty Chitty Bang Bang, a fantastical vehicle full of Kris Kringle, funny wool hats, hot cocoa, mittens & scarves, ready to fly away to the next castle. I'm enjoying my seasonal delusion disorder...