Wednesday, March 21, 2012

Pollyana Want a Cracker

I'm still sorting out where I want to go with Fleeting House or whether to retire it. It seems to me that the Internet is an outrage generator/mass repeater and if you aren't playing that game, you're as good as invisible. I'm also acutely aware that things are going to hell in a hand basket and I'm on Fleeting House basically saying, "Look, isn't this pretty?!" What's that line? "All This Useless Beauty!" I had considered it a bit of an antidote to the screed and shouting, but I'm wondering now if it's Pollyanna-ish to have such rose-colored glasses on when my political blood is boiling. There's a culture war on after all.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

We may be in the gutter, but we must look up at the stars...

Breanna said...

For what it's worth, I think the despair of ordinary people is one of the worst results of all our problems. Beauty *is* a potent antidote to despair.

Your work is unique in at least my internet world in that it highlights the beauty in the human built environment. My reactions to the world's problems can be flavored by a sort of primitivist temptation and your images help me keep a balance there.

DbV said...

I should know that mid-March is an historically low point, a bummer season for Caesar and most everyone else in the Northern hemisphere. I'm not immune from Ides Illness and thank both of you for your encouraging comments. Back to all that useless beauty, then...

DbV said...

I should also acknowledge that the blog roll on the right side of this site presents plenty of random, real world ugly, so...

Rachel B. said...

I love your blog! I hope you continue. It gives me a nice break during the day to look at something beautiful. Plus you are a good writer!

DbV said...

Thanks, Rachel. I was going through those late Winter, Ides of March, blues. I'm back at it, fighting ugly with pretty.
Let's connect soon.