Wednesday, April 4, 2012

i don't know what it is

I first saw Rufus Wainwright in concert at a small club on Capitol Hill in Seattle around 2003 or early 2004. I saw him again two years later in the much larger Moore Theater in downtown Seattle. He didn't as much "get big" as the venues grew into his BIg Thing. His music is lush, accomplished, storied, grand. He's a challenging artist with talent to burn but almost always climbing up Operatic Alpine mountains, scaling heights like a true Romantic. When he settles for a moment and sets himself back a half step from the edge, his baroque bluster falls away and a simple but precious stone of a song might shine out and blind you. That's when I love him best. I'm thinking of the song "Barcelona" on his debut album or this one from his 2003 album, Want One, called "I Don't Know What it Is." I listen to this song all the time and get such a boost from it. It helps Get me Over & reminds me that uncertain can also be a guiding light.



"So I knock on the door
Take a step that is new
Never been here before
Is there anyone else here too
In love with beauty
Playing all of the games
Who thinks three's company
Is there anyone else who
wears slightly mysterious bruises
I don't know what it is...
but you've got to do it
you've got to be there..."

No comments: