Sunday, August 12, 2012

a few folks in the park

Outside Lands
 I'm just set to head out for the third and final day of Outside Lands Festival in Golden Gate Park. I'll post highlights after it wraps. Suffice to say, it's an overwhelming event attended by upwards of 65,000 people each day over the course of the 3-day weekend. It sold out entirely this year on the back of a stellar line-up ranging from classic rock to techno. Eclecticism is a defining feature of the five year old fest. Over the long weekend it develops its own culture of fans, food, costume, art, comedy, and of course music. Despite the serious numbers, I've been able to get right up to see most bands I've wanted to catch close-up. The sound systems do a great job of projecting enough that a person can hang back and still hear really well, even in this breezy, foggy environment.
a few folks in the park
Some hotly-tipped bands can be a challenge to see as with any festival of this scale. The scene above of the throngs of the curious to see Alabama Shakes in Lindley Meadow at the Sutro Stage proved too much for me. Luckily, there's always plenty of overlapping alternatives.
The Michael Kiwanuka Band
Instead, I enjoyed an intimate show with the wonderful Soul Man from England, Michael Kiwanuka, who was very warmly welcomed on the Panhandle Stage.
So, with a belly full of coffee and slightly-spent anticipation, I'm heading West to Outside Lands once again. I'm looking forward to Regina Spektor and Santigold, but especially tonight's headliner, Mr. Stevie Wonder. Yes.

No comments: